Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'll spare you any photos

I just got back from my gum grafting surgery. I took a Xanax before I went and they just gave me shots in my mouth. Still, I'm feeling slightly light-headed.

I had this done in a different spot about 17 years ago, and I remember not enjoying it much, but I didn't remember much more.

I was really, really scared the last few days, so (at the doctor's recommendation) I took part of an anti-anxiety pill last night and it really helped. This morning I wasn't nervous at all when I woke up, and I slept well.

I got scared as I arrived at the office, but the doctor and nurse were really comforting. I was just having one tooth done today (at $1,100 a tooth, it was all I could get covered by the insurance). I have more that need to be done, so I'm hoping to do two a year for the next several years. If they take, well, hopefully I'll be good to go for the rest of my life.

My first graft has held up really, really well. And since I have no infection or anything unhealthy going on in my mouth, I am hoping I have a nice clean slate to work with and will heal easily.

In very vague terms, so as not to gross you out, I have a wound on the roof of my mouth where "donor tissue" was taken. And I have a wound on the top right where they sutured that tissue on. For a week I have to brush and rinse with a prescription antiseptic - no toothpaste allowed. This stuff may stain my teeth, which makes me very unhappy. But supposedly it can be buffed off at the dentist. Unfortunately, I just had my dental cleaning last month and my next one is not till fall.

As I type, my mouth is still numb, so I'm feeling pretty good. In a few hours, who knows.

4 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Ouch! Here's hoping all heals well!

Hip Stitch said...

Sounds no fun at all....relax, sew, sleep on your time to heal!
I saw that top on Sew, Mama Sew & was thinking of making it myself...it looks great on you!

Marissa said...

Hopefully you'll be asleep when all the meds wear off, and you'll wake up feeling like a new woman. (Yeah, I know.) fingers crossed, anyway.

jules.maas said...

owie! You have to do this more than once? I'm glad to hear you're feeling so well afterwards, but dang I'm a wussie, I'd be dragging my feet all the way.