Continuing with my Amy Butler obsession, here is yet another bag. This one is the easiest of the three I have made, and came out the best. For one thing, it doesn't have piping, which I have found is not my strong point.
I used a Butler print that I have been drooling over since the spring for the outer bag and a light blue for the lining.
Changes I made:
I added pockets for my phone, iPod and pen. I left off the boning at the top because it seemed like way too much trouble, and for some reason spending another $1.50 seemed silly at the moment. ***UPDATE: I can now see the point of the boning. I think it would have been better if I had done it. *** Also, I left out the false bottom. It seemed to have enough support on its own, and the plastic she has you buy for these false bottoms it several dollars a sheet. I have bought several sheets for the other bags and always have a huge piece left over, yet that piece is never the right shape for the next bag.
The pattern comes with a pattern for a flower, but it's not the flower in the picture on the bag. It's a humongous flower you can put in your hair, though it would cover half your head. So I went ahead and winged a little flower using the "small petal" piece. I used 8 pairs of that with no interfacing. I sewed the darts, then placed two petals right side together and sewed around, leaving the bottom. I then turned them and pressed. I overlapped five and sewed together, then placed three more on top and sewed. The button I had in a jar. I save all extra buttons that come with clothes. This was an extra for a sweater I have, and it's the perfect color. It's covered in crochet or something. I sewed the button on to cover the ugly petal joins in the center. Then I attached the flower to a brooch back and pinned it onto the purse.