Saturday, February 10, 2007

Best book that ever happened to me -- and knitting

As you may have noticed, I decided out of the blue a few weeks ago to take up knitting. "Stitch 'N Bitch" was recommended as a good book to learn by, but upon examination of the bookstore shelves, I decided on a different book with prettier pictures. Big mistake. That book didn't explain how to do anything. It left me so confused that I had to get help from coworkers to figure every single step out. I took it back and bought "Stitch 'N Bitch."
Stitch 'N Bitch
I have one thing to say: I LOVE Debbie Stoller. She explains everything step by step. She explains all the little pitfalls and things that could confuse a newbie. She doesn't take anything for granted or forget that you don't know as much as she does. She uses good illustrations. She explains things like this (paraphrasing): Make two stitches. Name one Jack and one Jill. Now Jack and Jill are on the right needle. Insert the left needle under Jill and make her play leapfrog with Jack and fall off the right needle. Now only Jack is on the right needle."
Sound condescending? It's not. It's awesome, because I couldn't understand binding off when I read several other sources, but now, with a little baby talk, I do!

The other great thing about this book, and its sequel, "Stitch 'N Bitch Nation," is the hip patterns that come with it. No nerdy vests here.

My first project is coming along well, and I will wow you with photos soon! Stay tuned. In the meantime, visit this Web site: Knit Happens.

No comments: