Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This one's for you, Mom

My poor mom. She's been trying for years to get me and my brother to eat healthier food. I've resisted every step of the way.

But, now I'm older and more mature, right? And lately I've just been so uninspired by frozen meals and my bland cooking. I've taken it upon myself to learn to cook, which isn't hard at all if you have a recipe. I just don't really have the skills to make up my own.

The result is that I have more interesting choices and I can control what goes into my food. That means less processed junk, even in things that seem like they'd be good for you.

A few things I've been focusing on:

1. (My mom will love this!) Adding flax seeds/ground flax to foods. It has a yummy, nutty taste and only it makes it better for you. It can be as simple as stirring it into humus or sprinkling it onto my bagel with cream cheese.

2. Eating fresh vegetables, not canned.


I'm also ready to start eating some things I've flat-out refused to eat for my entire life.

1. Cucumbers. I've never liked the taste of them. I like the smell, and I want to like them, but I don't. I suddenly feel like maybe I will be able to start liking them, and I'm giving it another shot. This sounds odd, but I did the same thing with watermelon. I hated the taste, but wanted to like it. After years of trying it periodically, I suddenly developed a taste for it.

2. Raisins. Don't know what my problem is with these. Those little boxes of raisins look delicious. I've always refused to eat them. The other day I ate a salad with raisins. I can't say I loved them, but I ate some.

3. Beans. I will only eat green beans, but not other kinds. People don't understand how I live in N.M. and don't eat beans, as New Mexican fare is centered around them. I guess I manage to avoid them -- N.M. food is fattening and I don't eat it all the time anyway. I was thinking I could start with this Bean and Bacon soup my mom used to give us. It was the only way I'd eat beans, but I don't see it at the store anymore.


Things I used to refuse to touch, but now I love:
Hummus. Avocado/guacamole. Nuts.


Today's lunch was a buffalo burger on wheat bun with dijon mustard and greens, served with organic sea salt and olive oil oven-baked fries.

Dinner will be homemade hummus with wheat flatbread and a Greek salad with homemade dressing.

No comments: