Friday, August 31, 2007

Is jockness in my future?

I've discovered a really good workout: basketball. Mark and I decided to go shoot hoops at the community center yesterday, and I was amazed by two things:
1. how much basketball terminology this sportsphobe was able to throw around like a badass.
2. how much work it was. The court seems a lot smaller when you're not on it.


I decided to "run drills" (that was one of my sports terms, though I don't know if it's accurate in basketball) and I made it back and forth up the court maybe 4 times before I was gasping. Basketball always seemed so easy when I was watching (which is never). Here are some things I learned:

1. It's hard to dribble and not look at the ball the whole time. And it's hard to change hands.
2. It's hard to run up and shoot without stopping to analyze where the basket is for a while.
3. It would therefore be really hard to do these things if you had a bunch of people trying to block you and steal the ball from you.
4. Granted, the ball could have been a bit flat, but it was sort of hard to dribble it hard enough to keep it coming back up to my hand height, and since a real basketball player's hand is about 3 feet higher up then mine, I really feel for them.

Needless to say, I'm a bit sore today and I think I'll add this to my workout routine.

No comments: