Sunday, September 25, 2011

Diane Kimono Dress fix

A few days ago, I posted about my Diane Kimono Dress from Serendipity Studio. You can read my pattern review and the problems that I had here.

I had intended to make an above-the-knee dress with contrast on the bottom, but I messed it up royally. It was pretty unflattering.
Here is the hideous before:

For one thing, the dress is bunched up and I just look terrible. I was feeling pretty dejected when I saw this picture.
I had to do something about that unflattering skirt, but I didn't have it in me to spend more money on it and redo the bottom. I had serged the seams already. I decided to give up on the dress concept and go for a tunic I could wear with jeans. I simply cut off some of the bottom band and rehemmed it.

Here is the after:

Oh, do I like this so much more! Much more flattering as a top. I wish I'd had this all summer! Now it's going to go and get cold on me. Eventually. For now, it's still in the 80s in Albuquerque.

The fabric is Joel Dewberry's Aviary II, which I also used to make my mom's quilt (in another colorway).


Hip Stitch said...

oh, I love it! good job fixing....that's so frustrating - happened to me many a-project!

Marissa said...

Gorgeous- it looks like an entirely different fabric from the first picture. Burn that picture! You are so talented!

Holly Roberts said...

I know this is an older story...but was looking for pattern reviews. I like your modified fit! :-) You conquered it!

Roady said...

Thanks, Holly! I was still a bit chubby from my pregnancy in these pics, so I am now cringing even at the "after" picture.